The Trio Voces de las Americas – costumed strolling mariachi guitarists – will perform for diners at a Cinco de Mayo celebration at Milwaukee Area Technical College’s Oak Creek Campus, 6555 S. Howell Ave. The event will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 5, on the patio outside the cafeteria.
Sponsored by the campus’ United Hispanic Students Club (UHSC), the event is designed to showcase an aspect of Mexican heritage. It is free and open to the public. Authentic Mexican food from a variety of local restaurants will be available for purchase. A raffle will be held at noon for an iPod, gift certificates and cash prizes. Proceeds from this Cinco de Mayo service-learning activity will benefit the UHSC scholarship fund and Esperanza Unida
Cinco de Mayo, which means May 5th in Spanish, commemorates the date in 1862 in which the Mexican Army defeated the French in “The Battle of Puebla.” This celebration has come to represent freedom and liberty. (It is often confused with Mexican Independence Day, which is Sept. 16, 1810.) Surprisingly, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated more widely in the United States than in Mexico.
For more information, call (414) 571-4615 or (414) 571-4558.
The largest technical college in the state, Milwaukee Area Technical College is a key driver of the economy in southeastern Wisconsin. MATC offers 200 degrees, diplomas, certificates and apprenticeships, plus nearly 400 transfer options leading to bachelor’s degrees. A large pre- college program enables people to complete high school and prepare for higher learning. The Office of Corporate Learning provides customized training to incumbent workers. About 48,000 students per year attend the college’s four campuses, numerous evening centers and community-based sites, or learn online. Overwhelmingly, MATC graduates build careers and businesses right here at home. Visit www.matc.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Pediatric Advocate to speak at Franklin Public Library
- Oak Creek Public Library: 'Star Wars Reads Day!'
- Flu Clinic at the Oak Creek Public Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips for Easier Fall Lawn & Garden Maintenance
- Harvest Tasting Fundraiser at Cudahy Family Library
- Brew City Pet Services Attends International Pet-Sitter Conference
- Oktoberfest - Saturday, October 18th FREE Admission!
- Oak Creek's Best Kept Secret
- RED HOT MAMA! A Tribute to Sophie Tucker (featuring Becky Spice)
- Rocketober Brings Special Events to South Milwaukee