The 8th grade Girls Franklin Sabers played with heart, teamwork, and dedication that carried them to the Championship game at the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament this past weekend in Stevens Point, WI. They seeded 3rd in their pool Saturday, making them an underdog entering the Sweet 16.
They started Sunday morning with a win over Oshkosh West 42-31. This prepared them to face their next challenge, a game in the Elite Eight against Oak Creek. A team they had not beat yet this year. They were unstoppable, spotting a 14-2 deficit and coming back to win in overtime with a 47-45 nail biter.
Onto the Final Four, the team faced yet another competitive Kimberly team, which they had lost to on Saturday in pool play. The girls were determined this time, and came out on top 47-44. Taylor Schell added three 3 pointers and Ashley Lobraco, Montana Mack, and Morgan McCuen were top contributors to the 20 team rebounds.
It was a dream come true...they were headed to the championship game; this is what they dreamed of for the 5 years they have played together.
It was an offensive show, high scoring Montana Mack with 27, and fast breaks, the Sabers fell short to Superior 63-57. They played the best game of their career together, and were recognized by their opponents as the best competition in the tournament!
Congratulations to the Franklin Sabers State Champion Runners Up on a great season!
2014 Franklin Sabers Girls Select Basketball Team members are Ashley Lobraco, Elyssa DuKatz, Jami Miller, Jessie Perez, Lexi Hamilton, Megan Carr, Montana Mack, Morgan McCuen, Sami Leach, and Taylor Schell. The Sabers are coached by Ron DuKatz, Jay Schell, and Scott Hamilton.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- 3rd Annual South Milwaukee Breakfast with the Easter Bunny & Easter Egg Hunt
- Oak Creek Actress Performs in Acacia Theatre's
- Open Enrollment for Franklin Residents
- Print all In new window NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING ART SHOWCASE
- Greenhills Ohio Declares March 20th Martin Luther Symphonic Band Day
- Oak Creek Public Library Family Fun Night Fun With Food
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Alverno College to Host Screening of Vel Phillips Documentary
- Froedtert Health CEO to Speak at World Health Care Congress