The 8th grade Girls Franklin Sabers played with heart, teamwork, and dedication that carried them to the Championship game at the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament this past weekend in Stevens Point, WI. They seeded 3rd in their pool Saturday, making them an underdog entering the Sweet 16.
They started Sunday morning with a win over Oshkosh West 42-31. This prepared them to face their next challenge, a game in the Elite Eight against Oak Creek. A team they had not beat yet this year. They were unstoppable, spotting a 14-2 deficit and coming back to win in overtime with a 47-45 nail biter.
Onto the Final Four, the team faced yet another competitive Kimberly team, which they had lost to on Saturday in pool play. The girls were determined this time, and came out on top 47-44. Taylor Schell added three 3 pointers and Ashley Lobraco, Montana Mack, and Morgan McCuen were top contributors to the 20 team rebounds.
It was a dream come true...they were headed to the championship game; this is what they dreamed of for the 5 years they have played together.
It was an offensive show, high scoring Montana Mack with 27, and fast breaks, the Sabers fell short to Superior 63-57. They played the best game of their career together, and were recognized by their opponents as the best competition in the tournament!
Congratulations to the Franklin Sabers State Champion Runners Up on a great season!
2014 Franklin Sabers Girls Select Basketball Team members are Ashley Lobraco, Elyssa DuKatz, Jami Miller, Jessie Perez, Lexi Hamilton, Megan Carr, Montana Mack, Morgan McCuen, Sami Leach, and Taylor Schell. The Sabers are coached by Ron DuKatz, Jay Schell, and Scott Hamilton.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- End of an Era
- Oak Creek Library Make and Take Craft Program
- An Open Letter to Governor Walker Regarding "Easy" Teacher Licensure
- Aicardi Party Beer and Wine Tasting Event
- New Day Church Moving to Oak Creek
- 8U Zone Baseball Looking To Fill Out Its Roster
- Sharpen your sleuthing skills for New Berlin Rotary's Murder Mystery Feb. 7
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Free Help with Tax Returns Offered at MATC's Oak Creek and Downtown Milwaukee Campuses
- Valentines Event to Benefit Firefighter Non-Profit Group