The Tannahill Weavers, one of Scotland’s premier bands, returns to the Irish Cultural and Heritage Center, 2133 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee at 7:30 p.m. on Sat., April 14.
Pre-concert music in Quinlan’s Pub will be provided by the traditional Irish band Ceoi Cairde. Based in Milwaukee, the group whose name means Music of Friends, has been performing since 1989 and includes Al Liebsch of South Milwaukee. Liebsch plays fiddle.
Known for exuberant performances that blend the beauty of traditional melodies with the power of modern rhythms, the Tannahills were inducted into the Scottish Hall of Fame in December, 2011.
Emerging from a music session in Paisley, Scotland more than 40 years ago, they took their name from the town’s historic weaving industry as well as local poet laureate Robert Tannahill, a contemporary of Robert Burns. One of the first popular bands to use the Great Highland Bagpipe. their diverse repertoire spans the centuries with beautiful ballads sung in tight, three-part harmonies as well as fiery, foot-stomping reels and jigs.
The Winnipeg Free Press (Canada) wrote that they “could probably power an entire city for a year on the strength of (one) concert alone.”
The current line-up includes original members Roy Guillane and Phil Smillie. Guillane is the lead vocalist, storyteller and guitarist. Smillie who was 16-years-old when the band started, plays flute and the hand-held Celtic drum, the bodhran, as well as providing vocals. Long-time member John Martin is the fiddle player as well as adding his bass voice to the harmonies. One of Scotland’s most exciting pipers, Colin Melville, plays the Highland bagpipes as well as the Scottish small pipes and whistles.
“… world class musicians with passion and a healthy sense of fun, keeping alive and making accessible the very heart of the tradition itself.” – Mojo Magazine
Tickets are $19 in advance and $23 on concert day. Students with an ID are $15. Call (414) 345-8800 or go to www.ichc.net for more information.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fun, food and fireworks, it's South Shore Frolic time!
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Annual Flag Day at The Berkshire of Greendale
- Graphics Systems Corp. Expands Executive Team with Manufacturing Industry Veteran
- Music for every Palate – South Milwaukee Market announces July music line up
- Encouraging Independence to help Unlock your Child’s Potential
- Scholarships for UW-Parkside Nonprofit Leadership Program
- Celebrate South Milwaukee with a Full Week of Heritage Days Activities
- Healing In The Garden