Smiles for Erica
A Benefit for Erica Weiss
Friends, fans, and family are hosting a benefit for a very special young lady, Erica Weiss. It will be held on Saturday, November 27th, 2010, at the Oak Creek American Legion, Post 434, 9327 S. Shepard Avenue, from 4:00 p.m. to midnight.
In May of 2007, when Erica was 11 years old, she was admitted to Children's Hospital with what doctors thought was double pneumonia, and after major setbacks, including congestive heart failure and a medically induced coma, it was discovered that Erica has an incredibly rare chronic disease called Takayasu's Arteritis, as well as dilated cardiomyopathy. After many complications and hospital stays since her diagnosis, Erica was placed on the heart transplant list and received her beeper on October 8th, and her prayers were answered when she received a new heart on Sunday, 11/7/10. We ask that you keep this very special 15-year-old and her family, as well as her donor family, in your thoughts and prayers.
The character of Erica and her family rival those of anyone we've ever met. While appearing on the 96.5 WKLH Miracle Marathon for Children's Hospital with Dave and Carole, they were asked if they ever wondered, "Why did this happen to us?" Their response was, "Why not us? We would never want any other family to go through what Erica has." Even though Erica was at home on an IV waiting for a donor heart, she still participated in Al's Run & Walk For Children's Hospital, held on October 9th, as she worries about all the kids she sees who are sick, but knowing she is helping others brings her joy. Truly a remarkable young lady. For more information on Erica's journey and for her most up-to-date status, go to: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ericaweiss
The Smiles for Erica benefit will have many raffles and silent auction items, 50/50 raffles, live music, cash bar and food, and lots of fun. A $5 donation at the door includes a "Smiles for Erica" silicone bracelet. If you are not able to attend the benefit and would like to donate to Erica's fund, checks can be made payable to The Erica Weiss Benefit Fund, c/o Tri City National Bank, 8770 South Howell Avenue, #4, Oak Creek, WI 53154. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us at SmilesForErica@gmail.com.
On behalf of Erica and ourselves, we thank you for your time and hope to see you at the benefit!
Co-chairs: Constance "Connie" Bauer and Christine "Chris" Horton
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New "Sporkies" Food Competition Has Wisconsin State Fair Vendors Competing For Coveted Golden Spork Award
- Kids Travel Around the World for Children's Book Week
- National CPR and AED Awareness Week
- A Musical Benefit for Project Concern
- Free Culinary Camps for High School Students to be Held at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus in June
- Girl Scout Daisy Flower Garden Party
- STM Student Wins Prestigious Gates Scholarship
- Garden Revitalization Educational Series with Melinda Myers at Boerner Botanical Gardens runs May 21 through October 5
- Ted Lang Speed and Agility Camp at Cudahy High School (June 17th-21st)
- Cudahy High School Football to Offer Free Football Camps This Summer