Call it a glitch, call it a hiccup, but Oak Creek baseball coach Scott Holler would probably like to call it garbage and tear up the score sheet and throw it in the trash for what happened in the 12-0 debacle the defending Greater Metro Conference champs suffered at the hands of Marquette on June 20.
Holler, who was not available for comment, saw his team fall to 13-3 overall and 11-2 in conference play. The Knights started the week a game behind in the loss column to Brookfield Central (10-1 in GMC action).
The Knights, who were just coming off a fine 6-2 victory over archrival Franklin on June 19 (see separate story) will host West Allis Hale at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, June 26, in a GMC tilt and also host Arrowhead at 5:30 p.m. Friday, June 27, in a nonconference game.
They will play at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at 6 p.m. Saturday, June 28, against Kettle Moraine and then visit Central in a critical GMC tilt at 5:30 p.m. Monday, June 30.
Marquette scored in each of the first six innings, banging out 13 hits against four Knight pitchers, who also issued six walks. Oak Creek committed six errors and had only two hits against Hilltoppers starter and winner Parker Sniatynski (four strikeouts and one walk).
In other action last week, the Knights whitewashed Sussex Hamilton, 14-0, on June 17 as Mitch Makariewicz threw a five-inning shutout (two strikeouts and no walks). Jesse Sustachek had two hits and four RBIs, while Ryan Farr and Makarewicz had two hits apiece.
Oak Creek also beat Brookfield East, 5-1, on June 16 as Matt Hamilton (the winner, with five strikeouts and four walks), Joey Richter and Sustachek (three strikeouts) combined for the victory. Mitch Hart (two RBI) and Matt Hargreaves, had two hits apiece.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek wrestlng team overwhelms Franklin, 50-18
- Oak Creek wrestling team captures another Marquette Invitational title
- Oak Creek's Veloz, Strong earn Now All-Sub grid honors
- Oak Creek wrestlers start season fast
- Oak Creek wrestlers ready to make major strides this season
- Oak Creek girls look to find the basket again after split
- State champ Oak Creek girls begin basketball season as they ended the last
- State champion Oak Creek girls hoops team opens with rout of Horlick
- Oak Creek football team's strengths secured it an SEC title
- Oak Creek basketball girls believe they can be strong again