Nothing very special happened after the Oak Creek wrestling team's 71-9 rout of Racine Case on Jan. 30, which completed a championship-worthy clean sweep of Southeast Conference duals for the surprising Knights.
No, the fun stuff occurred last week, after the Knights had formally clinched the crown with the victory over Kenosha Bradford.
Let's just say the revelry was a boon to the usually hungry wrestlers.
"Last week ... one of our wrestler's mom made cupcakes for all the guys to celebrate the conference title," chuckled Oak Creek coach Matt Sommerville.
Ah yes, all that probably meant was a few more laps in the practice room the next day for the team.
But on a serious note, the Knights are motivated and ready to see if they can make it a clean sweep and earn their first league tournament crown since 1996, when they travel to Racine Case for the Southeast Conference Tourney, starting at 10 a.m.
"We feel great heading into the conference tournament," Sommerville said. "We have a couple of guys that need to heal a few injuries, but they'll be ready by next weekend."
The Knights prepped for it with a surprisingly easy win over a short-handed Case team, which forfeited five classes to Oak Creek.
Picking up pins for the Knights were Ethan Kaschak at 152 pounds (4:50), Russ Agg at 182 (1:44), Nick Gottfried at 220 (1:42), Josiah Wolf at 126 (4:21), Sean LaBodda at 138 (1:31) and Nate Mlodzik at 145 (1:30).
Ben Hakes continued to roll as he moved up a class and still won by technical fall at 170. Picking up the forfeits were Jake Regazzi at 195, Kevin Bohigas at 285, Matt Berlin at 106, Andrew McIntosh at 113 and Isaiah Robinson at 120.
In short, Sommerville feels good about this Saturday's opportunity.
"They are thinking positively and are fired up about the possibility of winning the conference tournament for the first time since 1996," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Greendale football team slows down Brown Deer's Zack Baun in victory
- Football: Oak Creek puts itself in position for SEC title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Oak Creek football team's sound, clean game overpowers Park, 37-6
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Parity, along with win, puts Oak Creek football team back in SEC lead
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Oak Creek girls tennis surprises with Germantown Invite crown
- Oak Creek football team beats Franklin with big plays, 20-12