The Ice Force southside co-op hockey team split a pair of games the weekend of Dec. 13.
They dropped a tough 5-3 decision to Kettle Moraine on Dec. 13. Goals were scored by Mitch Hart of Oak Creek, Brian Kennedy of Franklin and Bailey Beierle of St. Francis. It was the freshman Beierle's first varsity goal.
Oak Creek's Konner Ondriezek was busy making 57 saves, a season high.
"We came out flat-footed and were a step behind most of the night," coach John Kennedy said. "It took us half the game to wake up. Konner (Ondriezek) kept us in it, but the deficit was too high to overcome against a very tenacious opponent."
The junior varsity team beat Kettle Moraine, 6-4, as Franklin's Zach Gramza led the way with two goals for the Ice Force. James Mazur of St. Francis had 18 saves and Owen Lemke of Waterford made eight saves to combine for the win.
On Dec. 14, the Ice Force traveled to Oshkosh and beat the Ice Hawks, 6-2. Leading the scoring were Oak Creek's Jake Blankenburg and Mitch Hart and Franklin's Jarod Hauke, all with two goals each. Brian Kennedy had three assists, and Ondriezek made 31 saves.
"I stressed the importance of a good start after last night and taking care of our defensive end in the first period," coach Kennedy said. "After it was scoreless (in the first period), I mentioned to stay the course and that we were alright. Be patient and we'll get our opportunities.
"The team responded with a two-goal lead and never trailed the entire game. We finished the weekend strong with four goals in the final period."
- Oak Creek boys track team stays on task, win sixth SEC outdoor title
- Softball: Big bats land Oak Creek softball team SEC title
- Oak Creek stuns Whitnall, 12-2, in battle of softball powers
- Steven L. Tietz: Oak Creek's Marwin Evans signs with Green Bay Packers
- Hard-hitting Oak Creek softball team charges into SEC lead
- Ahead of schedule, Oak Creek girls track team wins SEC relays
- Oak Creek boys track team puts in strong effort to win SEC track relays
- Oak Creek girls track team wins Lancer, ready for SEC
- Oak Creek softball team's road trip successful
- Oak Creek girls track wins third straight outdoor invite