The Ice Force southside co-op hockey team split a pair of games the weekend of Dec. 13.
They dropped a tough 5-3 decision to Kettle Moraine on Dec. 13. Goals were scored by Mitch Hart of Oak Creek, Brian Kennedy of Franklin and Bailey Beierle of St. Francis. It was the freshman Beierle's first varsity goal.
Oak Creek's Konner Ondriezek was busy making 57 saves, a season high.
"We came out flat-footed and were a step behind most of the night," coach John Kennedy said. "It took us half the game to wake up. Konner (Ondriezek) kept us in it, but the deficit was too high to overcome against a very tenacious opponent."
The junior varsity team beat Kettle Moraine, 6-4, as Franklin's Zach Gramza led the way with two goals for the Ice Force. James Mazur of St. Francis had 18 saves and Owen Lemke of Waterford made eight saves to combine for the win.
On Dec. 14, the Ice Force traveled to Oshkosh and beat the Ice Hawks, 6-2. Leading the scoring were Oak Creek's Jake Blankenburg and Mitch Hart and Franklin's Jarod Hauke, all with two goals each. Brian Kennedy had three assists, and Ondriezek made 31 saves.
"I stressed the importance of a good start after last night and taking care of our defensive end in the first period," coach Kennedy said. "After it was scoreless (in the first period), I mentioned to stay the course and that we were alright. Be patient and we'll get our opportunities.
"The team responded with a two-goal lead and never trailed the entire game. We finished the weekend strong with four goals in the final period."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SEC champion Oak Creek wrestlers look to bigger things
- Oak Creek girls basketball team gets defensive in win over Franklin
- Oak Creek wrestlers claim third SEC dual-meet title
- Oak Creek girls basketball team outlasts Franklin, 47-39
- Level-headed Cleary is new leading scorer for Oak Creek boys
- Oak Creek wrestlers storm to another major meet title
- Oak Creek girls basketball team gets road-tested, pushes past Kimberly
- Oak Creek boys basketball team steadies itself, beats South Milwaukee
- Oak Creek wrestlers moving forward at great speed
- Schedule to get serious for red-hot Oak Creek girls basketball team