The Ice Force southside co-op hockey team split a pair of games the weekend of Dec. 13.
They dropped a tough 5-3 decision to Kettle Moraine on Dec. 13. Goals were scored by Mitch Hart of Oak Creek, Brian Kennedy of Franklin and Bailey Beierle of St. Francis. It was the freshman Beierle's first varsity goal.
Oak Creek's Konner Ondriezek was busy making 57 saves, a season high.
"We came out flat-footed and were a step behind most of the night," coach John Kennedy said. "It took us half the game to wake up. Konner (Ondriezek) kept us in it, but the deficit was too high to overcome against a very tenacious opponent."
The junior varsity team beat Kettle Moraine, 6-4, as Franklin's Zach Gramza led the way with two goals for the Ice Force. James Mazur of St. Francis had 18 saves and Owen Lemke of Waterford made eight saves to combine for the win.
On Dec. 14, the Ice Force traveled to Oshkosh and beat the Ice Hawks, 6-2. Leading the scoring were Oak Creek's Jake Blankenburg and Mitch Hart and Franklin's Jarod Hauke, all with two goals each. Brian Kennedy had three assists, and Ondriezek made 31 saves.
"I stressed the importance of a good start after last night and taking care of our defensive end in the first period," coach Kennedy said. "After it was scoreless (in the first period), I mentioned to stay the course and that we were alright. Be patient and we'll get our opportunities.
"The team responded with a two-goal lead and never trailed the entire game. We finished the weekend strong with four goals in the final period."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Gymnastics: Rebuilt co-op gym team wins fourth state title
- Girls basketball: Knights shake off sluggish start, trounce Case
- Holler takes over as Oak Creek AD as celebrated Lampe retires
- Oak Creek's Hakes, McIntosh earn state wrestling medals
- Medenwaldt's three-pointer propels Oak Creek boys basketball team to overtime win
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Oak Creek's Ben Hakes makes WIAA state wrestling semifinals
- Boys basketball: Medenwaldt's clutch three caps stunning rally for Oak Creek
- Oak Creek wrestlers find their inspiration, send four to state
- Oak Creek girls basketball team win second straight Southeast Conference title