The Ice Force southside co-op hockey team split a pair of games the weekend of Dec. 13.
They dropped a tough 5-3 decision to Kettle Moraine on Dec. 13. Goals were scored by Mitch Hart of Oak Creek, Brian Kennedy of Franklin and Bailey Beierle of St. Francis. It was the freshman Beierle's first varsity goal.
Oak Creek's Konner Ondriezek was busy making 57 saves, a season high.
"We came out flat-footed and were a step behind most of the night," coach John Kennedy said. "It took us half the game to wake up. Konner (Ondriezek) kept us in it, but the deficit was too high to overcome against a very tenacious opponent."
The junior varsity team beat Kettle Moraine, 6-4, as Franklin's Zach Gramza led the way with two goals for the Ice Force. James Mazur of St. Francis had 18 saves and Owen Lemke of Waterford made eight saves to combine for the win.
On Dec. 14, the Ice Force traveled to Oshkosh and beat the Ice Hawks, 6-2. Leading the scoring were Oak Creek's Jake Blankenburg and Mitch Hart and Franklin's Jarod Hauke, all with two goals each. Brian Kennedy had three assists, and Ondriezek made 31 saves.
"I stressed the importance of a good start after last night and taking care of our defensive end in the first period," coach Kennedy said. "After it was scoreless (in the first period), I mentioned to stay the course and that we were alright. Be patient and we'll get our opportunities.
"The team responded with a two-goal lead and never trailed the entire game. We finished the weekend strong with four goals in the final period."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Almost at full strength, Oak Creek wrestlers win BC title
- Oak Creek girls smash two SEC opponents to stay in lead
- Oak Creek girls almost measure up to Pewaukee
- Oak Creek girls earn sloppy pre-break win over Central
- Oak Creek boys dominate cold shooting Franklin, 48-28
- Oak Creek girls rally and retain SEC lead with win over Franklin, 43-38
- Oak Creek wrestlng team overwhelms Franklin, 50-18
- Oak Creek wrestling team captures another Marquette Invitational title
- Oak Creek's Veloz, Strong earn Now All-Sub grid honors
- Oak Creek wrestlers start season fast