Oak Creek girls cruise to Sheboygan tourney title
Waukesha West, Sheboygan South no match
Oak Creek - The 2012 portion of the season for the girls basketball team ended on a sound note, as the Knights crushed both Waukesha West and the host school to win the Sheboygan South Redwings Holiday Tournament last week.
"Since that first clunker against Pius (late in November), we've gotten better every week," Oak Creek coach Steve Hluchnik said. "We're reasonably healthy right now, and when we are healthy we have a chance against almost anybody out there."
The Knights began the week at 8-1 overall and 4-0 in Southeast play. They will resume league action on Friday at Kenosha Tremper.
That's where Hluchnik will hope to continue the hot play on both ends of the court that Oak Creek has established recently.
In the final of the Redwing Tournament on Friday, South was simply no match for the Knights, as Oak Creek bolted out to an 18-8 first quarter lead and then stretched it to 36-18 en route to a 57-22 victory. The Knights shutout the Redwings in the fourth quarter and held them to just four points overall in the second half.
"South is down a little, so we didn't want to get caught playing at their level," Hluchnik said. "It was good. We took control of the game from the outset, kept stretching the lead and got everyone some playing time."
Forward Tamya Sims led the way with 17 while Katie Finn had 10 and Hannah Settingsgaard and Steph Kostowicz had eight apiece.
In the West game, Hluchnik was very pleased with the defensive effort against the previously unbeaten Wolverines. It was point guard Morgan Kokta's night as she had 17 points, seven rebounds, six steals and five assists in leading Oak Creek to a 51-31 win.
"She's the straw that stirs the drink, no doubt about that," Hluchnik said.
Overall, Hluchnik was very pleased with the two-day effort, as both Sims and Kokta earned berths on the all-tournament team.
"We stayed fresh, played good basketball, and got the kids a couple of nights in a hotel, where I think they behaved themselves," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek football team routs Hamilton, ready for round 2 with Franklin
- Football: Poll: Who will win Level 2 game: Franklin or Oak Creek?
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- SEC co-champ Oak Creek football team recalls its lessons
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Greendale football team slows down Brown Deer's Zack Baun in victory
- Football: Oak Creek puts itself in position for SEC title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Oak Creek football team's sound, clean game overpowers Park, 37-6