The Oak Creek eighth-grade Junior Knights boys basketball team finished second in Division 1 of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Marshfield and Stevens Point on March 26-27.
The tournament brought together 106 of the top community-based eighth-grade teams in the state, and champions were crowned in four divisions.
The Junior Knights played seven games in two days. In pool play, they beat Appleton West, 52-15, and Verona Area, 73-49, and lost to Sun Prairie, 55-37.
They tipped Brookfield Central, 40-38, in the round of 16, then downed Superior, 35-30, in the quarterfinals. They beat De Pere, 30-18, in the semifinals and fell to Sun Prairie, 41-33, in the final.
"Good defense and great teamwork were responsible for our success," said coach Steve Bautch.
Corey Jackson and Jamel McNutt were named to the Division 1 All-Tournament Team.
The Junior Knights have played together for two years and took part in 17 tournaments, earning 11 first places, two seconds and three thirds.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek boys track team cruises to Mukwonago title
- Oak Creek's Luke every bit a student/athlete
- Oak Creek track teams use depth, talent to sweep Hale meet
- Oak Creek boys tennis team opens by winning own tourney
- Oak Creek's Cleary accepts leadership role
- Oak Creek girls claim Racine track title
- Oak Creek track teams each take second in Racine Case Invite
- Settingsgaard sets tone for rebuilt Oak Creek hoops squad
- Oak Creek boys basketball team's season ends in regional thriller
- Girls basketball: Defending champ Oak Creek comes up short vs. DSHA