The Oak Creek eighth-grade Junior Knights boys basketball team finished second in Division 1 of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Marshfield and Stevens Point on March 26-27.
The tournament brought together 106 of the top community-based eighth-grade teams in the state, and champions were crowned in four divisions.
The Junior Knights played seven games in two days. In pool play, they beat Appleton West, 52-15, and Verona Area, 73-49, and lost to Sun Prairie, 55-37.
They tipped Brookfield Central, 40-38, in the round of 16, then downed Superior, 35-30, in the quarterfinals. They beat De Pere, 30-18, in the semifinals and fell to Sun Prairie, 41-33, in the final.
"Good defense and great teamwork were responsible for our success," said coach Steve Bautch.
Corey Jackson and Jamel McNutt were named to the Division 1 All-Tournament Team.
The Junior Knights have played together for two years and took part in 17 tournaments, earning 11 first places, two seconds and three thirds.
- John Rech
- Oak Creek baseball team passes test with win over Homestead, 7-3
- Oak Creek baseball team plays small ball to beat Menomonee Falls
- Oak Creek baseball coach Holler earns 300th win
- Holler gets 300th win as Oak Creek baseball team smashes Marquette
- Oak Creek baseball team moves past early debacle
- Track and field: Ogden's two seconds lead Oak Creek track success story
- Oak Creek girls track team dominates WIAA sectional
- Ogden to lead 13 state entries for Oak Creek boys track team
- Oak Creek boys track team stays on task, win sixth SEC outdoor title
- Softball: Big bats land Oak Creek softball team SEC title