The Oak Creek eighth-grade Junior Knights boys basketball team finished second in Division 1 of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Marshfield and Stevens Point on March 26-27.
The tournament brought together 106 of the top community-based eighth-grade teams in the state, and champions were crowned in four divisions.
The Junior Knights played seven games in two days. In pool play, they beat Appleton West, 52-15, and Verona Area, 73-49, and lost to Sun Prairie, 55-37.
They tipped Brookfield Central, 40-38, in the round of 16, then downed Superior, 35-30, in the quarterfinals. They beat De Pere, 30-18, in the semifinals and fell to Sun Prairie, 41-33, in the final.
"Good defense and great teamwork were responsible for our success," said coach Steve Bautch.
Corey Jackson and Jamel McNutt were named to the Division 1 All-Tournament Team.
The Junior Knights have played together for two years and took part in 17 tournaments, earning 11 first places, two seconds and three thirds.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Holler takes over as Oak Creek AD as celebrated Lampe retires
- Oak Creek's Hakes, McIntosh earn state wrestling medals
- Medenwaldt's three-pointer propels Oak Creek boys basketball team to overtime win
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Oak Creek's Ben Hakes makes WIAA state wrestling semifinals
- Boys basketball: Medenwaldt's clutch three caps stunning rally for Oak Creek
- Oak Creek wrestlers find their inspiration, send four to state
- Oak Creek girls basketball team win second straight Southeast Conference title
- Sports Shorts: Feb. 20
- Oak Creek wrestling team backs up league title with SEC tournament crown