The Oak Creek eighth-grade Junior Knights boys basketball team finished second in Division 1 of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Marshfield and Stevens Point on March 26-27.
The tournament brought together 106 of the top community-based eighth-grade teams in the state, and champions were crowned in four divisions.
The Junior Knights played seven games in two days. In pool play, they beat Appleton West, 52-15, and Verona Area, 73-49, and lost to Sun Prairie, 55-37.
They tipped Brookfield Central, 40-38, in the round of 16, then downed Superior, 35-30, in the quarterfinals. They beat De Pere, 30-18, in the semifinals and fell to Sun Prairie, 41-33, in the final.
"Good defense and great teamwork were responsible for our success," said coach Steve Bautch.
Corey Jackson and Jamel McNutt were named to the Division 1 All-Tournament Team.
The Junior Knights have played together for two years and took part in 17 tournaments, earning 11 first places, two seconds and three thirds.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek's Turchin bests Ramirez in sectional thriller
- Baseball: Pitching, defense boost Franklin baseball team past Oak Creek for sectional championship
- OC's Turchin two-run double rallies Knights to 2-1 win over Greendale
- Nonconference win over Greendale boosts Oak Creek baseball team
- Gile, Falls upset Oak Creek, 3-2, land berth in GMC baseball final
- Oak Creek baseball team wins third straight GMC title
- Youthful Oak Creek softball team looking ahead
- Oak Creek baseball team raises $2,300 for autism aid, research
- Opportunistic Franklin baseball team surges past Oak Creek
- Menomonee Falls' ace Weber returns and stymies Oak Creek, 6-2