The Oak Creek eighth-grade Junior Knights boys basketball team finished second in Division 1 of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Marshfield and Stevens Point on March 26-27.
The tournament brought together 106 of the top community-based eighth-grade teams in the state, and champions were crowned in four divisions.
The Junior Knights played seven games in two days. In pool play, they beat Appleton West, 52-15, and Verona Area, 73-49, and lost to Sun Prairie, 55-37.
They tipped Brookfield Central, 40-38, in the round of 16, then downed Superior, 35-30, in the quarterfinals. They beat De Pere, 30-18, in the semifinals and fell to Sun Prairie, 41-33, in the final.
"Good defense and great teamwork were responsible for our success," said coach Steve Bautch.
Corey Jackson and Jamel McNutt were named to the Division 1 All-Tournament Team.
The Junior Knights have played together for two years and took part in 17 tournaments, earning 11 first places, two seconds and three thirds.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SEC co-champ Oak Creek football team recalls its lessons
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Greendale football team slows down Brown Deer's Zack Baun in victory
- Football: Oak Creek puts itself in position for SEC title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Oak Creek football team's sound, clean game overpowers Park, 37-6
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Parity, along with win, puts Oak Creek football team back in SEC lead
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Oak Creek girls tennis surprises with Germantown Invite crown