The Oak Creek eighth-grade Junior Knights boys basketball team finished second in Division 1 of the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Marshfield and Stevens Point on March 26-27.
The tournament brought together 106 of the top community-based eighth-grade teams in the state, and champions were crowned in four divisions.
The Junior Knights played seven games in two days. In pool play, they beat Appleton West, 52-15, and Verona Area, 73-49, and lost to Sun Prairie, 55-37.
They tipped Brookfield Central, 40-38, in the round of 16, then downed Superior, 35-30, in the quarterfinals. They beat De Pere, 30-18, in the semifinals and fell to Sun Prairie, 41-33, in the final.
"Good defense and great teamwork were responsible for our success," said coach Steve Bautch.
Corey Jackson and Jamel McNutt were named to the Division 1 All-Tournament Team.
The Junior Knights have played together for two years and took part in 17 tournaments, earning 11 first places, two seconds and three thirds.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: Dec. 5
- Experienced Mitchell lands All-Suburban spot for Oak Creek
- Top-ranked Oak Creek girls basketball team has high goals this season
- Top-ranked Oak Creek girls basketball team defeats King, cruises to 2-0
- Friendly rivals: Franklin swimmers help Oak Creek when repairs needed
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 14
- Sports Shorts: Oct. 31
- Quintet off and running to state
- Speed just too much for Oak Creek football in loss
- Social media story: Prep football playoffs: Division 1 Level 1