Oak Creek — More than 70 teachers and residents attended Monday's School Board meeting, raising concerns about the future salary structure given failed negotiations.
Teachers and residents read from prepared statements calling for the Oak Creek-Franklin Joint School District to open up discussions and give teachers more respect.
A mediator on Oct. 17 declared the salary negotiations between the teacher's union and school district at an impasse. The district could impose its salary offer on the teachers at the Nov. 11 School Board meeting.
Superintendent Sara Burmeister said the district is attempting to increase starting wages for younger teachers this year. That means administrators have proposed larger increases for less-experienced teachers than veteran teachers.
"I understand some people feel it is unfair that some teachers are receiving a larger base-building increase this year compared to other teachers," Burmeister said in an email to NOW Newspapers. "Last year, all teachers received the same percent increase, and the union, while agreeing to this, criticized the district and board for not doing more for our newer, lower-paid teachers, pointing out the widening gap between the highest and lowest paid teachers."
She further pointed out that the district has offered wage increases above the Consumer Price Index each year since Act 10 restricted teacher bargaining abilities, is funding early retirement benefits, pays tuition reimbursement and has lowered healthcare insurance premiums.
Teachers union members, on the otherhand, said they feel unheard and locked out.
"To shut out the local association from the conversation and to implement, impose and implement is not the way to do it," Union President Terry Grogan said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Twitter recap: 50 Cent at Woodman's in Oak Creek
- Now reporter to live tweet 50 Cent appearance in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek-Franklin petition for larger school board verified for public vote (1)
- Oak Creek police report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Oak Creek food distributor faces $85K in fines after employee injury
- Star of 'Dance Moms' to make Oak Creek appearance
- Sikh Temple announces memorial events to honor victims of 2012 shooting
- Oak Creek police report: July 23, 2015 issue
- Four things to know about new Drexel Town Square in Oak Creek (8)
- YES reports campaign to expand Oak Creek School Board has enough signatures for public vote (2)