Your article on the Oak Creek Water Utility in the Jan.10 issue was basically correct, but the headline and lead paragraph are misleading. The legislation being proposed would not let Oak Creek negotiate its own water rates. It would merely define how wholesale water rates would be determined in Wisconsin. It defines a very simple formula that divides the total cost of producing the water based on the percentage used by each customer. This formula has been agreed to by all the Oak Creek wholesale customers, but for some reason, the Public Service Commission turned down the agreement. Apparently they prefer long, drawn out, contested rate cases, which cost the users a lot of money, to mutual agreements.
Establishing the rate computation method in state code would also protect the utility from future PSC commissioners changing the approved method of computing the rate at a later date, thus affecting the utility's future return on investment. Since wholesale contracts are long contracts, this is very important. Oak Creek needs to protect the interests of the rate payers who have paid the casts of building a first class plant capable of supplying the water needs of these communities.
Chairman, Oak Creek Water and Sewer Commission
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Police Report: Oct. 2, 2014 issue
- Oak Creek teams with Packer Radio Network for merchandise giveaway
- Hotel calls police about woman being beaten, but it was a couple role-playing during sex
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Ready to move into a luxury apartment in Drexel Town Square?
- Oak Creek Police Report: Sept. 25, 2014
- Oak Creek volunteers restore Milwaukee home, and more, with their efforts
- Oak Creek Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Suzy's Cream Cheesecakes expands operations to Oak Creek
- Oak Creek Knights stadium available Saturdays for open track