Oak Creek — Registration is open for the Chardhi Kala 6K run/walk, an event to not only commemorate those who lost their lives in the Aug. 5, 2012, shooting at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, but to also celebrate the temple's strengthened connection to the community in the wake of the tragedy.
The event is aptly titled: Chardi kala can be translated from Punjabi as "positive attitude" or "ascending energy."
"It seemed really appropriate given the circumstances," said volunteer and temple member Gurmukh Singh. "It's (chardi kala) that kind of buoyant high spirit, relentless optimism. It's in that spirit that the event will be a success."
Each of the event's 6 kilometers also are symbolic. They represent one of the members of the temple killed that day by Wade Michael Page: Satwant Singh Kaleka, Paramjit Kaur, Suveg Singh Khattra, Prakash Singh and brothers Ranjit and Sita Singh.
The run/walk begins at 8:30 a.m. Aug. 3 and runs until 11 a.m. Entertainment, speeches, festivities and games will be provided afterward. The run/walk will take place at Oak Creek High School, 340 E. Puetz Road.
Registration is free but a $10 donation is suggested. The donations will go to the Chardi Kala Memorial Scholarship fund and the Aug. 5 memorial. To register, visit chardhikala6k.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'Evening of Blessings' provides the less fortunate with Thanksgiving dinner
- Oak Creek police report: Oct. 8, 2015 issue
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Oak Creek Public Library to close for one week during move to Drexel Town Square
- Oak Creek police report: Oct. 1, 2015 issue
- Kwik Trip opens second location in Oak Creek
- Job fair to be held at Milwaukee Area Technical College's Oak Creek campus
- MyCommunityNow reporter searching for local ghost stories
- Oak Creek police report: Sept. 24, 2015 issue
- Charcoal Grill restaurant approved for old bank location in Oak Creek (3)