An Oak Creek police officer and an Oak Creek resident worked together to rescue 10 ducklings stuck in a storm drain July 6.
According to the Oak Creek police report:
Shortly after 8 p.m. July 6, The Oak Creek Fire Department received a report that several ducklings were trapped in a storm drain outside Noodles & Co., 8609 S. Howell Ave. The Fire Department responded and confirmed the situation.
The Oak Creek Street Department was notified, but said they couldn't respond to the call due to the high traffic volume on Howell Avenue. The Fire Department then called police and requested an officer respond.
After the officer arrived, he contacted the Humane Society Wildlife Center, but personnel there were unavailable during the evening hours and would not be able to come to the area until after 8:30 a.m. the next day.
The officer took matters into his own hands and was able to free two ducklings from the drain. With the help of a resident who remains anonymous and a ladder, the two were able to free all 10 ducklings.
Unfortunately, the mother duck flew away before all the ducklings were collected.
The ducklings were taken to the police station on Ryan Road for safekeeping. The next morning the ducklings were taken to the Miller Park Pond and released, where the officer saw them reunite with their mother.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek High School track to be named after Jerry Anstett
- Oak Creek police report: March 26, 2015
- Mayor Steve Scaffidi weighs-in on issues and successes of Oak Creek
- Chick-fil-A approval for Drexel Town Square generates 'buzz' in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek reports former alderwoman Betty Kopplin has died
- Oak Creek police report: March 19, 2015 issue
- Incumbent Ruetz faces former alderman Verhalen in Oak Creek's 3rd District
- Incumbent Gehl faces former Alderwoman Grabowski in Oak Creek District 5 race
- Chick-fil-A approved for Drexel Town Square, conditions and restrictions not yet specified
- Video: Oak Creek reporter faces fear of falling through ice in safety training