Costly thefts discovered
at closed bakery rooftop
A closed bakery sustained a combined $200,000 in losses and damage when thieves removed copper wiring, motors and coils from the plant's rooftop HVAC and freezer units.
A CSM Bakery employee notified police Saturday after a building inspection revealed the theft at the facility located at 7350 S. 10th St.
The corporation which owns the plant, CSM Bakery Products, based in Tucker, Ga., is in the process of selling the building, which is why it had sent an official to the site for a pre-purchase inspection last week, the employee said.
All of the copper piping, coils and motors had been removed from the nine HVAC/freezer units on the roof. While an exact value of the stolen components is unknown, the cost of fixing and replacement the equipment is believed to be more than $200,000.
Since the plant has been closed for over 10 months it was unknown exactly when the thefts occurred. Police believed the thieves may have accessed the roof on the far east side of the building.
Man arrested twice in four
hours for drunken driving
A 38-year-old Oak Creek man is facing two charges of drunken driving after he was arrested twice in less than four hours on Feb. 1.
According to the police log:
An officer pulled the man over after he saw him driving the wrong way in the 7800 block of South Howell Avenue at about 1 a.m. After the man failed sobriety tests and registered a 0.20 on the intoximeter, he was arrested for drunken driving and cited for driving the wrong way on a divided highway and was taken into custody.
When family members arrived at the police station to pick him up at about 4:50 a.m., the man got into a heated argument with them and ordered his sister to exit her vehicle. He then got into the driver's seat and started driving away. Police quickly pulled the man over and administered sobriety tests, which the man failed a second time. His blood alcohol content registered 0.17.
He was arrested a second time for drunken driving and was transported to the county jail for safekeeping, as none of his family members were willing to sign a statement of responsibility form.
- Furniture retailer IKEA reportedly eyeing site in Oak Creek
- Annual Oak Creek bike rodeo mixes fun and safety
- Oak Creek police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek student facing charges after stealing car, eluding police
- Oak Creek police report: April 21, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek-Franklin School District's director of business reflects on career, looks forward in Q&A
- Meijer customers given opportunity to co-star in television commercial
- Oak Creek receives 'Vision Award' for Drexel Town Square development
- Oak Creek police report: April 14, 2016 issue