Oak Creek — Police are investigating a series of bomb threats phoned in to three Oak Creek businesses on South Howell Avenue the evening of Feb. 22.
According to Oak Creek police reports:
The first bomb threat was received at Tazino's, 8201 S. Howell Ave., at 7:27 p.m. Feb. 22. The restaurant received a call from a male who stated, "There is a bomb in the store. You need to evacuate." Police made a sweep of the restaurant, but did not find anything unusual.
The second bomb threat was received at Subway on 82nd Street and Howell Avenue about 7:30 p.m. that day. A male called the store and stated, "You need to evacuate the store. There is a bomb in the store, and a bomb in your car."
Police did a security sweep of the store but found nothing unusual.
The third bomb threat was received by Woodman's, 8131 S. Howell Ave., between 7:35 and 7:50 p.m. The male caller stated, "There is a bomb. Everyone is going to die."
Police spoke to the store manager, who decided to slowly evacuate the store. Officers conducted a sweep of the entire building but found nothing suspicious or unusual.
Both Tazino's and Subway have caller ID, and the phone numbers both calls originated from were identical.
Although Woodman's did not have caller ID, police made contact with the store's phone service provider, who was able to obtain a list of phone numbers the store received calls from between 7:35 and 7:50 p.m. That list included a call from the same phone number that contacted Tazino's and Subway.
Police also spoke to an employee at Tazino's, who said she believed the phone number used by the caller used to be her old cellphone number. However, she told police she lost the phone about two months ago, and had no idea where she lost it or who could have taken it.
The investigation into the source of the bomb threats is ongoing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Twitter recap: 50 Cent at Woodman's in Oak Creek
- Now reporter to live tweet 50 Cent appearance in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek-Franklin petition for larger school board verified for public vote
- Oak Creek police report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Oak Creek food distributor faces $85K in fines after employee injury
- Star of 'Dance Moms' to make Oak Creek appearance
- Sikh Temple announces memorial events to honor victims of 2012 shooting
- Oak Creek police report: July 23, 2015 issue
- Four things to know about new Drexel Town Square in Oak Creek (8)
- YES reports campaign to expand Oak Creek School Board has enough signatures for public vote (2)