Oak Creek — The season may have just ended, but Oak Creek cheerleading coaches are already looking forward to next year's tryouts.
All three Oak Creek cheer squads placed first in the Badger Cheerleading Tournament last month and coaches say there is no shortage of talent coming up from the middle school and junior varsity squads.
"All the girls from the program have improved so much in the last year, so it'll be really fun to see what they bring to tryouts this year and what skills we can add into the routines," said Kristen Archambeau, one of three varsity coaches.
Oak Creek competed against seven other Division 1 squads at the tournament at Alliant Energy Center in Madison. Twenty-nine teams competed overall. Judges lauded the Oak Creek squads' choreography, tumbling, stunting, cheer, and routine cleanliness — meaning, uniformity and no falls.
A day prior, varsity nabbed second place at the state competition at the same location. Neither junior varsity nor middle school competed in state.
The last time all three squads earned first place at the same tournament was five years ago.
"It was a great way to end the season and we're really excited to hold try outs for next year because we know what the girls are capable of and that talent that keeps coming," said Archambeau. "We're only losing two competition squad girls this year so that's exciting."
Of the 21 total varsity cheerleaders, 11 competed at the Badger Tournament. All 13 junior varsity cheerleaders and 14 Oak Creek East middle schoolers competed at the tournament.
Varsity coaches emphasized tumbling this year because it helps with scoring against other schools, Archambeau said. Next year, coaches hope to introduce "more elite stunting" like 360-degree extensions and rewinds with flawless execution.
All cheerleaders will have to tryout again for the 2014-15 squad. Middle school tryouts were held March 11; varsity and junior varsity tryouts are April 10. Squads are chosen the night of tryouts.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek-Franklin parent group pushes for larger school board membership
- 'Not one more' life: Oak Creek service stresses need for drop in gun violence (1)
- Oak Creek police report: July 2, 2015 issue
- Video: Oak Creek-Franklin flips coin to determine task force chair; parents invited to apply
- #RisingForCharleston Service to support victims of church shooting, request stricter gun laws
- Oak Creek-Franklin Superintendent Sara Burmeister retires
- Oak Creek police report: June 25, 2015 issue
- Elm Grove police seek leads in robbery
- Oak Creek-Franklin board forms new committee to deal with school boundaries debate
- Proposed changes to Oak Creek Water and Sewer Utility Commission rejected (1)