Franklin - A Meijer official today informed Mayor Tom Taylor that the company is no longer pursuing a 190,000-square-foot store at the southwest corner of Highway 100 and Loomis Road.
Taylor told NOW Newspapers that Mike Flickinger, director of real estate for Meijer, called to inform him of the decision. He noted that the decision centered on the company's difficulty in getting approval from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to build on or near the site's wetlands.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation also had some difficulty with the entrance and exit traffic flow plan of the site, though that concern reportedly had been cleared in recent months.
"Meijer is a quality store and they tried to come up to the standards that we as a city had established for architecture, landscaping and the location of the docks," Taylor said.
He noted that the potential flooding and traffic issues were problematic throughout the process.
Frank Guglielmi, a Meijer spokesman, also noted that the contract with the current owner of the land had expired.
The company is in negotiations with neighboring Oak Creek for a similarly sized store in the new Drexel Town Square on the former Delphi site at Howell and Drexel avenues.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Free Hot Hula 'try-it' class offered March 17
- Oak Creek city hall, fire station and library opening dates announced
- Oak Creek police report: March 5, 2015
- Family Life Center and other Oak Creek resources unite against poverty
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: March 5
- Interactive: Fewer students in Oak Creek are taking free or reduced-price lunches
- Dr. Seuss' birthday celebrated at Oak Creek library for Family Fun Night
- Got stuff? The Clutter Coach is coming to Oak Creek to help
- Oak Creek police report: Feb. 26, 2015, issue
- City divided on addition of Chick-fil-A at Drexel Town Square in Oak Creek