Oak Creek — Meijer department and grocery store has cleared the last major hurdle in becoming the anchor tenent of the burgeoning Drexel Town Square.
"They essentially are approved right now," Director of Community Development Doug Seymour said after the Plan Commission approved the company's building and site plans Tuesday.
The Michigan-based retailer does still need lighting, signage and forestry approval from the commission to obtain its building permit. From there, it's only a matter deciding when to break ground.
The devil was in the details for the commissioners, who poured through the plans. Building materials, pedestrian access, glazing percentages, foliage and building light placement were vigorously discussed for an hour before the plans received an "aye" from each commissioner.
Town Square anchor
Plans call for a 192,000-square-foot retail and grocery store and a 2,509-square-foot gas station to be built at 7929 S. Howell Ave., less than one block away from the grocer Woodman's Foods. There will be a liquor department and drive-through pharmacy on site.
As for Woodman's, Jim Ostrowski, real estate manager for Meijer said, "We think competition is a great thing." He added that Meijer is a supercenter and the two stores don't have completely similar business models.
The store is a major component of the Drexel Town Square development, which will in essence create a new downtown, complete with a new city hall and library. Meijer is planned to be the only big-box retailer in the development.
Meijer also is the first building in the new zoning district, Drexel Town Square Mixed Use Planned Development District, which was created specially for the development.
Open 24 hours
The store is slated to be open every hour of the year, with the exception of Christmas Day, Dec. 25. The store will employ 200 to 250 part- and full-time employees.
The retail section will be closed at 11 p.m.
With the approval, Ostrowski said he hopes the store will be completed in 2015.
- Furniture retailer IKEA reportedly eyeing site in Oak Creek
- Annual Oak Creek bike rodeo mixes fun and safety
- Oak Creek police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek student facing charges after stealing car, eluding police
- Oak Creek police report: April 21, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek-Franklin School District's director of business reflects on career, looks forward in Q&A
- Meijer customers given opportunity to co-star in television commercial
- Oak Creek receives 'Vision Award' for Drexel Town Square development
- Oak Creek police report: April 14, 2016 issue