For the second time in less than a year, an elusive large snake has slinked its way near the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek, only to disappear again.
A man called Oak Creek police Sunday evening, Aug. 31, to report he saw a large snake near the pond in back of the temple, 7512 S. Howell Ave., while he was cutting grass.
The caller showed the responding officer several pictures of the snake that he took with his cellphone, and the officer noted that the snake in the picture appeared to be a very large python.
When investigating the area where the snake was sighted, the officer noted that the grass was matted down in numerous spots, which could have been caused by a large snake. Officers checked the area around the pond and the pipe near the edge of the pond but were unable to locate any snake.
This is not the first time a large snake has reportedly been sighted at the temple. Last October a caller reported seeing a large, 4- to 5-foot yellow/green snake by the pond. Police did find a matted grass pathway that led from the southeast corner of the temple to a large tree that was just south of the pond, but no snake was found.
Police advised the caller that if such a large snake is sighted, the best course of action is to contact a wildlife rescue organization for removal, because such a snake can be hazardous due to its size.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Public Library to close for one week during move to Drexel Town Square
- Oak Creek police report: Oct. 1, 2015 issue
- Kwik Trip opens second location in Oak Creek
- Job fair to be held at Milwaukee Area Technical College's Oak Creek campus
- MyCommunityNow reporter searching for local ghost stories
- Oak Creek police report: Sept. 24, 2015 issue
- Charcoal Grill restaurant approved for old bank location in Oak Creek (2)
- Friends and fiance embrace Oak Creek woman, a recent double leg amputee (2)
- Gigi's Cupcakes announces new location in Oak Creek's Drexel Town Square
- Homecoming comes to Franklin and Oak Creek