Greendale — The Greendale School Board unanimously agreed Thursday night to rescind its two letters to the village's Board of Trustees, which requested action to move polling places from its schools.
The school district initially asked the village in May to remove the polling places by the general election after concerns arose about student safety during election days.
Alternative locations for the polling places have been hard to find in Greendale, however. Polling places require facilities to meet certain requirements set by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
To gain public input on the matter, the board of trustees agreed to bring the issue before its voters through a referendum question — "Should the polling places for the Village of Greendale be located in buildings other than in schools owned by the Greendale School District?"
The school board issued a second letter earlier this week that granted permission to use its schools for the general election on November 4.
"Our intent with the (first) letter was to set a date out there that we could work toward," said School Board President Joe Crapitto. "I think our second letter to the Village Board recognized that there were barriers (to find alternative locations)."
After the school board's rescission of both letters, however, a referendum question may no longer be necessary.
"I don't think we're any less concerned (about student safety), but we want to get on a different trajectory … that is both collaborative and works with the (school board and board of trustees) so that we can find a solution that works for all residents," Crapitto said.
A special board of trustees meeting will likely be held next week to determine the fate of its referendum question, which must be submitted by Tuesday to be included in the general election ballot.
- Oak Creek increases dog ownership limit from two to three
- Oak Creek police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek's Summer Concert Series begins June 29
- Splash pad gets off to a slippery start at Drexel Town Square (1)
- Nominations being accepted for the 2016 Oak Creek Landscaping Awards
- Oak Creek combating Emerald Ash Borer with chemicals
- Oak Creek police report: June 16, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek's Miliacca eyes state pageant title
- Oak Creek passes agreement for senior community in Drexel Town Square
- Oak Creek makes a splash opening its splash pad in Drexel Town Square