Franklin woman charged with heroin, cocaine possession after leaving child at preschool
Franklin - Helen Balke, 31, of Franklin was charged with heroin and cocaine possession in Milwaukee County Circuit Court on April 13.
Franklin police say she overdosed on heroin and failed to pick up her 3-year-old child from preschool April 9.
According to the Franklin police report:
A co-worker learned Balke, who hadn't been at work that day, had failed to pick up her child from preschool. She went to Balke's home in the 2700 block of West Elm Road, about 3:45 p.m. April 9 and found her unconscious. She called paramedics.
When emergency workers and police arrived they found crack cocaine, a used syringe with heroin residue and other drug paraphernalia in the home.
The woman was taken to the hospital for treatment and released the next day. She was arrested on April 10.
She also was arrested for second-degree recklessly endangering safety for leaving drugs and paraphernalia within easy access of a child, but that potential charge is pending review by the district attorney's office.
Balke is scheduled to appear in court April 22 for a preliminary hearing on the drug charges.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BMX, skateboarding competition canceled Saturday in Oak Creek
- Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- 'Land fill' paves way for new lakefront road in Oak Creek
- Zone Baseball makes The Rock its home plate
- Old market lives on in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek Police Report: July 17, 2014 issue
- Man arrested for masturbating in shopping center lot in Oak Creek
- Eatery falters amid road construction in Oak Creek
- Domestic bird found stray in Oak Creek
- Pixologie photo organizers memorialize life stories