St. Alphonsus School students will return to classes on Monday, instead of today as anticipated.
The Rev. Alan Jurkus said the principal decided to delay opening the school until Monday after viewing the extent of the work involved in getting 17 classes ready for students following the Christmas morning fire at the Greendale parish.
The classrooms, about two-thirds of the school, received extensive smoke damage from the fire that caused more than $200,000 in damage to the parish, and its cause is undetermined.
No one was in the church, where the fire started, and no injuries were reported.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek cops called for 'burning flesh' odor, but find a feast instead
- Police Report: Dec. 3
- News & Notes: Dec. 5
- New Year's Eve party to raise money to curb violence
- Oak Creek freezes employee pay for 2014
- Recycling used electronics for free
- $2.5 million needed to update library
- Oak Creek District 6 aldermanic seat will be contested (3)
- Black Bear to expand bottling operation in Oak Creek (2)
- Oak Creek ups spending to $24.3M in 2014