Oak Creek police say drunken driver was texting when he struck and injured motorcyclist
A man was taken to Froedtert Hospital after his motorcycle was rear-ended by a drunken driver who admitted he was texting when the accident occurred shortly after midnight May 19.
According to the responding officer, the drunken driver was traveling northbound in the 6400 block of South 13th Street and slowing for the light when he rear-ended the motorcycle, causing the driver to fall off the motorcycle and strike his head on the pavement at 12:23 a.m.
During questioning, the driver told police he was texting on his cellphone when he struck the cyclist, which is why he didn't see the motorcycle before the accident occurred.
He was cited for texting while driving and for causing injury while operating while intoxicated. He was taken to Wheaton Franciscan Hospital for a blood draw, the results of which were unavailable.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zone Baseball makes The Rock its home plate
- Old market lives on in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek Police Report: July 17, 2014 issue
- Man arrested for masturbating in shopping center lot in Oak Creek
- Eatery falters amid road construction in Oak Creek
- Domestic bird found stray in Oak Creek
- Pixologie photo organizers memorialize life stories
- Alderman settles into new spot on Common Council
- Sweet Music brings southern hospitality to Oak Creek Market Place Village
- Even with planned warning signs, Drexel and Howell avenues still a worry for bicyclists