Oak Creek police say drunken driver was texting when he struck and injured motorcyclist
A man was taken to Froedtert Hospital after his motorcycle was rear-ended by a drunken driver who admitted he was texting when the accident occurred shortly after midnight May 19.
According to the responding officer, the drunken driver was traveling northbound in the 6400 block of South 13th Street and slowing for the light when he rear-ended the motorcycle, causing the driver to fall off the motorcycle and strike his head on the pavement at 12:23 a.m.
During questioning, the driver told police he was texting on his cellphone when he struck the cyclist, which is why he didn't see the motorcycle before the accident occurred.
He was cited for texting while driving and for causing injury while operating while intoxicated. He was taken to Wheaton Franciscan Hospital for a blood draw, the results of which were unavailable.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public workshop welcomes input for Lake Vista redevelopment
- Oak Creek police report: Nov. 27, 2014 issue
- Residents can provide input for updated Oak Creek comprehensive plan
- Oak Creek police report: Nov. 20, 2014 issue
- Oak Creek approves city budget with small tax levy increase
- Owls are a hoot at Deerfield Elementary
- Santa is ready to come to Oak Creek with a holiday workshop, bake contest and games
- Drugs, and concern about them, are on the rise in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek police report: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Oak Creek, Franklin residents vote "yes" to only one OCFSD referendum question