Oak Creek — One savvy resident who refused to be conned realized quickly that the caller was trying to scam her when he changed his story several times during a botched attempt to steal her identity and money.
According to the Oak Creek police log:
A woman called police about 4:50 p.m. Jan. 23 to report she had just received a scam telephone call from a private number.
The caller, a man with a Middle Eastern or Indian accent, stated he was with the Internal Revenue Service and that she and her husband owed back taxes.
When the woman denied owing taxes and questioned the caller further about who he actually was, the caller changed his story and told her he was from Publisher's Clearing House, and that he was actually calling her to tell her she just won a Mercedes Benz and $242,000.
The caller later changed the amount she and her husband had allegedly won from Publisher's Clearing House to $450,000, and also told her he had a prize package for her to pick up at a specific location on 11th Avenue.
When she told him she wasn't going to pick up any packages, the caller said he would send "troopers" to her house to arrest her.
After she told the caller to go ahead and send the troopers, he told her to call Publisher's Clearing House herself to verify what she had just won. That's when the woman decided to end the call and contact police.
An officer did trace the private phone number to an address on 11th Avenue, but there was no answer. The officer later reported that it appeared the caller had given her a random address and the scammer could not be found.
- View some Art in the Park in Oak Creek May 28
- Oak Creek police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- IKEA tries to get into TIF at Oak Creek site (1)
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Oak Creek police report: May 19, 2016 issue
- Why did IKEA choose Oak Creek? Location
- Oak Creek to honor veterans May 30
- Oak Creek police report: May 12, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek flies military-spangled banners to honor 'heroes'
- Meijer and Family Life Center partner in Simply Give food pantry donation program