Oak Creek police have confirmed a second fatality from a crash Thursday that killed an Oak Creek High School senior.
Earlier Thursday, Oak Creek-Franklin Joint School District Superintendent Sara Burmeister identified the student who was killed as 18-year-old Lyle Kraning.
A news release from Oak Creek police Thursday evening identified Kraning, along with the second victim identified as Jack Bednar, 58, of Racine.
The two-vehicle crash was reported about noon at S. Pennsylvania Ave. and E. Ryan Road, police said.
Kraning died two days before he was to graduate, Burmeister said.
Two other people were injured but police have not released their conditions or any other information about the crash.
Kraning was driving one of the vehicles, Burmeister said.
Kraning was not in school Thursday because he had finished his coursework in an alternative school program a few weeks ago, Burmeister said. He was scheduled to receive his diploma during graduation ceremonies Saturday, she said.
Thursday was the last day of classes at Oak Creek High School, Burmeister said.
The school's seniors were informed of Kraning's death during a meeting at the end of the school day, she said.
Those who knew Kraning said "he always had a smile on his face, that he was a charmer, that he was happy-go-lucky," Burmeister said. "He was very proud that he had finished (school) and was going to be graduating."
Although there are no classes at the high school on Friday, all staff members will be in the building, Burmeister said. Students who want to speak with a counselor should come to the school, she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dr. Seuss' birthday celebrated at Oak Creek library for Family Fun Night
- Got stuff? The Clutter Coach is coming to Oak Creek to help
- Oak Creek police report: Feb. 26, 2015, issue
- City divided on addition of Chick-fil-A at Drexel Town Square in Oak Creek
- OCFSD considers more than $1 million in proposed capital improvements
- Milwaukee County Transit expands bus service to Oak Creek
- Sikh Temple shooting examined in one-hour documentary Monday
- Voters in Oak Creek-Franklin and Greendale decide candidates for April 7 election
- Oak Creek police report: Feb. 19, 2015, issue
- Four OCFSD school board candidates advance to April's general election