Oak Creek police have confirmed a second fatality from a crash Thursday that killed an Oak Creek High School senior.
Earlier Thursday, Oak Creek-Franklin Joint School District Superintendent Sara Burmeister identified the student who was killed as 18-year-old Lyle Kraning.
A news release from Oak Creek police Thursday evening identified Kraning, along with the second victim identified as Jack Bednar, 58, of Racine.
The two-vehicle crash was reported about noon at S. Pennsylvania Ave. and E. Ryan Road, police said.
Kraning died two days before he was to graduate, Burmeister said.
Two other people were injured but police have not released their conditions or any other information about the crash.
Kraning was driving one of the vehicles, Burmeister said.
Kraning was not in school Thursday because he had finished his coursework in an alternative school program a few weeks ago, Burmeister said. He was scheduled to receive his diploma during graduation ceremonies Saturday, she said.
Thursday was the last day of classes at Oak Creek High School, Burmeister said.
The school's seniors were informed of Kraning's death during a meeting at the end of the school day, she said.
Those who knew Kraning said "he always had a smile on his face, that he was a charmer, that he was happy-go-lucky," Burmeister said. "He was very proud that he had finished (school) and was going to be graduating."
Although there are no classes at the high school on Friday, all staff members will be in the building, Burmeister said. Students who want to speak with a counselor should come to the school, she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public invited to create Georgie Porgie's next 'burger of the month'
- Oak Creek police report: April 30, 2015 issue
- New clock tower could rise to iconic status in Oak Creek
- Shorewood School Board asks legislators to increase school funding
- Oak Creek police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Oak Creek High School teacher accused of 'profanity-laced tirade' by colleague beats allegations (16)
- Oak Creek-Franklin School District reschedules enrollment boundary meeting (1)
- Oak Creek High School receives special grant to begin home construction class next year
- Oscar's in West Allis sports new look
- Oak Creek police report: April 16, 2015 issue (1)