Oak Creek — Pat DeGrave, the city administrator for the past four years, was fired Monday night following a closed-session discussion by the Common Council.
The council voted 6-0 after returning to an open session not to renew DeGrave's annual labor agreement, Mayor Dick Bolender said Tuesday.
Bolender, who did not have a vote, informed DeGrave, who was in his office.
"They basically felt that they wanted to go in a different direction and that's it," Bolender said of the aldermen. "It was shocking, but they did have some things that were brought up that were important to the council so that's the direction they took."
Bolender, who participated in the closed-session discussion, said aldermen "had a basis" for the decision, but he wouldn't be more specific. He said the city would begin advertising soon to fill the city administrator's position.
DeGrave, who earned $108,442, said his previous performance reviews had been routine and his firing was unexpected. He said he didn't know what aldermen might be referring to in saying they want to go in another direction.
Last week, aldermen approved in concept a $40.5 million capital plan that envisions using taxes paid by the We Energies plant expansion to replace City Hall, the library and two fire stations, plus reconstruct two major roads.
DeGrave's predecessor worked for the city less than a year, and the administrator before that worked for Oak Creek for 14 years.
DeGrave, 52, previously was the village administrator for Slinger in Washington County. Before that he was administrator of the Town of Menasha and town administrator for Mount Pleasant in Racine County before Mount Pleasant became a village.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Police Report: Oct. 2, 2014 issue
- Oak Creek teams with Packer Radio Network for merchandise giveaway
- Hotel calls police about woman being beaten, but it was a couple role-playing during sex
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Ready to move into a luxury apartment in Drexel Town Square?
- Oak Creek Police Report: Sept. 25, 2014
- Oak Creek volunteers restore Milwaukee home, and more, with their efforts
- Oak Creek Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Suzy's Cream Cheesecakes expands operations to Oak Creek
- Oak Creek Knights stadium available Saturdays for open track