Despite the presence of the Butler's garter snake, nearly $400,000 worth of improvements to Abendschein Park, 999 E. Drexel Ave., will get under way later this spring.
As part of first and second phases of the park's master plan, the city will update the parking lot and pedestrian pathways, storm sewer and detention pond, skate park, open-air shelter, play structure area and soccer fields on the east side of the park.
The city received word Monday from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources that the area is designated at a "tier 2" snake habitat, which means it does not have significant conservation value and will not affect planned improvements. The DNR's designation follows the Common Council's April 6 conditional approval of four separate contracts for the projects.
City Engineer Wayne St. John said work should begin in May, and improvements should be completed by the end of summer. Other improvements scheduled for 2010 and beyond include a concession building with restrooms, water, sanitary sewer and electrical service; stream bank stabilization; a pedestrian bridge over the creek; and further expansion of the pedestrian pathway network.
Improvements will be funded with impact fees from developers and capital improvement project dollars.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee County Parks extends Oak Leaf Trail to OakView Business Park
- The Academy of Performing Arts to host 2nd annual 'Trunk or Treat' event
- Man robbed in his own backyard in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek police report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Oak Creek man killed in Sauk County traffic accident
- Oak Creek community buries time capsule at future city hall
- Oak Creek-Franklin School Board receives voter approval to add two more seats
- Oak Creek-Franklin School District approves preliminary budget, calls for tax rate increase
- Tickets now available for Oak Creek's Pig and Chicken Roast
- Oak Creek police report: Aug. 20, 2015 issue