Oak Creek adds Drexel Avenue to queue of road repairs
Ryan Road and Howell Avenue already in progress
Oak Creek — Varied construction projects have littered Oak Creek streets this summer, and soon, Drexel Avenue will join the mix with minor repair work.
On Tuesday, Aug. 19, the common council voted in favor of fixing up Drexel Avenue's obvious imperfections and deterioration this fall while the road is already torn up due to Drexel Town Square development.
Drexel Avenue, from 13th Street to Howell Avenue, had already been scheduled for major rehabilitation in five years, according to the city's engineering department.
"What's authorized is additional work that will make this a decent road to get us through to the next major rehabilitation," said Michael Simmons, city engineer.
The fixes this fall will include replacing pavement from South Sixth Street to South Howell Avenue. The repaving will also take place in intersections — Sixth Street and Delco Drive, which is still being developed — that will feed into the new Drexel Town Square Development.
The common council approved $100,000 from the city's $3 million construction bond to finance the repair work.
The reconstruction of Ryan Road and the rehabilitation of Howell Avenue are slated for completion by the end of November or early December. Ryan Road is torn up from 27th Street to Howell Avenue. Howell Avenue is seeing work between Oakwood Road and Grange Avenue.
"These two roads were particularly bad," said Tom Laztano, project manager for Wisconsin Department of Transportation, who noted last winter's "freeze cycles" that made roads heave.
"They were like washboards," said Laztano.
Upon completion, Ryan Road will have new concrete pavement and upgraded traffic signals on Interstate 94 ramps and at 27th, 22nd and 13th streets. Sidewalks will also be added on the north and south sides of Ryan Road.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Twitter recap: 50 Cent at Woodman's in Oak Creek
- Now reporter to live tweet 50 Cent appearance in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek-Franklin petition for larger school board verified for public vote (1)
- Oak Creek police report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Oak Creek food distributor faces $85K in fines after employee injury
- Star of 'Dance Moms' to make Oak Creek appearance
- Sikh Temple announces memorial events to honor victims of 2012 shooting
- Oak Creek police report: July 23, 2015 issue
- Four things to know about new Drexel Town Square in Oak Creek (8)
- YES reports campaign to expand Oak Creek School Board has enough signatures for public vote (2)