Eatery falters amid road construction in Oak Creek
Sadie's Ristorante uses Facebook to announce closing; new business may open there
Oak Creek — Sadie's Ristorante, 9454 S. Howell Ave., announced on its Facebook page June 26 that it is permanently out of business "due to ongoing road construction," and a new business, Brian's Cafe, is already being advertised at the site.
Oak Creek residents Laurel Red Cloud and Robert Penny opened the restaurant, which stands on the corner of Howell Avenue and Ryan Road, in March 2013, according to the city clerk and inspection office.
According to its Facebook, Sadie's has been crying for help since May.
On May 29, Sadie's posted on Facebook that construction "It's Killing Our Business!!! Save Sadie's!!! Help Us Get Through This Transition ..." The restaurant also advertised a $2 off any entree "construction special" on Facebook the same day, for all summer long.
Doug Seymour, director of community development, said the construction on Howell Avenue and Ryan Road are state projects, through the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, so the city has not been too involved in mediating construction for businesses located there.
There have been a number of public meetings and "at the end of the day it gets you a brand new facility and gets the customer a better and safer way," said Seymour of the construction.
Sadie's proprietors could not be reached for a comment, as their public phone number has been disconnected. City clerks could not locate another active phone number.
According to the inspection department, Brian's Cafe has not yet applied for an occupancy license through the city, which is needed before the business is able to open at the former Sadie's location.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Chick-fil-A celebrates National Lemonade Day with free samples in Brookfield, Greendale
- Police notes: Aug. 14, 2014 issue
- Oak Creek-Franklin board puts school space-related referendum questions on November ballot
- Two years later, Oak Creek officers honored for efforts in Sikh Temple shooting
- Oak Creek Police Report: Aug. 14, 2014 issue
- Oak Creek-Franklin Joint School Board to vote on referendum question
- Oak Creek road rage leads to rollover
- Oak Creek Police Report: Aug. 7, 2014 issue
- Sikhs celebrate an anniversary of 'healing'