Eatery falters amid road construction in Oak Creek
Sadie's Ristorante uses Facebook to announce closing; new business may open there
Oak Creek — Sadie's Ristorante, 9454 S. Howell Ave., announced on its Facebook page June 26 that it is permanently out of business "due to ongoing road construction," and a new business, Brian's Cafe, is already being advertised at the site.
Oak Creek residents Laurel Red Cloud and Robert Penny opened the restaurant, which stands on the corner of Howell Avenue and Ryan Road, in March 2013, according to the city clerk and inspection office.
According to its Facebook, Sadie's has been crying for help since May.
On May 29, Sadie's posted on Facebook that construction "It's Killing Our Business!!! Save Sadie's!!! Help Us Get Through This Transition ..." The restaurant also advertised a $2 off any entree "construction special" on Facebook the same day, for all summer long.
Doug Seymour, director of community development, said the construction on Howell Avenue and Ryan Road are state projects, through the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, so the city has not been too involved in mediating construction for businesses located there.
There have been a number of public meetings and "at the end of the day it gets you a brand new facility and gets the customer a better and safer way," said Seymour of the construction.
Sadie's proprietors could not be reached for a comment, as their public phone number has been disconnected. City clerks could not locate another active phone number.
According to the inspection department, Brian's Cafe has not yet applied for an occupancy license through the city, which is needed before the business is able to open at the former Sadie's location.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore Cinema to feature lounge, pizzeria and leather recliners
- Oak Creek police report: May 28, 2015 issue
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Oak Creek-Franklin School District considers how to address need for auditorium
- Cedar Hills to celebrate fifth-grade artwork in annual Gallery Night
- Oak Creek police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Elmbrook Rotary Club looking for more teams for annual Spikes for Tykes fundraiser
- For Oak Creek-Franklin school boundaries, it's back to Option 1
- Department of Transportation to update local businesses about South 27th Street construction
- Oak Creek's historical society begins tour season on Memorial Day