Oak Creek — Police are seeking a man who burglarized an Oak Creek hotel room after conning an employee into believing he locked himself out of the room Sunday.
According to the Oak Creek Police Report:
A clerk at the Red Roof Inn, 6360 S. 13th St., called 911 to report a guest had just found the door to his room open and thousands of dollars missing about 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning.
Police spoke to the registered renter of the room, who stated that $2,700 in cash; a $65 piece of luggage containing several shirts, sweaters and jeans, valued at about $200; and a 24-karat yellow gold chain with a Jesus/anchor pendant were stolen from his room while he was gone between 10:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 a.m. Sunday.
After finding no signs of forced entry, officers spoke to a clerk at the hotel who stated that a man had come to the front desk about 11 p.m., said he had locked himself out of the room he was staying in, and asked if he could get another key.
The clerk told the man it was against hotel policy to make a room key for an unregistered guest, but after the man presented several forms of identification to the clerk, he was given another key.
The man is described as a 5-foot, 5-inch Hispanic male with a medium build and short, dark hair. He was wearing shorts and flip flops when he approached the front desk.
The victim told police he did not know the man, but later admitted he had had many guests in his room over the past three days. The victim also told police he posted photos of his cash on his Facebook.com page and showed his money to several friends.
The victim also admitted being intoxicated and smoking marijuana earlier in the evening, but no drugs or drug paraphernalia were found in his room.
The investigation is ongoing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Police Report: July 31, 2014 issue
- Oak Creek tree nursery firmly plants itself in diversity
- Oak Creek skate park still a thrill, almost 10 years later
- BMX, skateboarding competition canceled Saturday in Oak Creek
- Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- 'Land fill' paves way for new lakefront road in Oak Creek
- Zone Baseball makes The Rock its home plate
- Old market lives on in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek Police Report: July 17, 2014 issue
- Man arrested for masturbating in shopping center lot in Oak Creek