Franklin - A Meijer official today informed Mayor Tom Taylor that the company is no longer pursuing a 190,000-square-foot store at the southwest corner of Highway 100 and Loomis Road.
Taylor told NOW Newspapers that Mike Flickinger, director of real estate for Meijer, called to inform him of the decision. He noted that the decision centered on the company's difficulty in getting approval from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to build on or near the site's wetlands.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation also had some difficulty with the entrance and exit traffic flow plan of the site, though that concern reportedly had been cleared in recent months.
"Meijer is a quality store and they tried to come up to the standards that we as a city had established for architecture, landscaping and the location of the docks," Taylor said.
He noted that the potential flooding and traffic issues were problematic throughout the process.
Frank Guglielmi, a Meijer spokesman, also noted that the contract with the current owner of the land had expired.
The company is in negotiations with neighboring Oak Creek for a similarly sized store in the new Drexel Town Square on the former Delphi site at Howell and Drexel avenues.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Public Library to close for one week during move to Drexel Town Square
- Oak Creek police report: Oct. 1, 2015 issue
- Kwik Trip opens second location in Oak Creek
- Job fair to be held at Milwaukee Area Technical College's Oak Creek campus
- MyCommunityNow reporter searching for local ghost stories
- Oak Creek police report: Sept. 24, 2015 issue
- Charcoal Grill restaurant approved for old bank location in Oak Creek (2)
- Friends and fiance embrace Oak Creek woman, a recent double leg amputee (2)
- Gigi's Cupcakes announces new location in Oak Creek's Drexel Town Square
- Homecoming comes to Franklin and Oak Creek