Oak Creek - A Quiznos employee and her friend could face multiple charges stemming from the theft of a customer's purse Sept. 16.
According to the Oak Creek police report:
An Oak Creek man called police at 5:50 p.m. Sept. 16 after the Coach purse his wife accidentally left at Quiznos Subs, 8880 S. Howell Ave., was taken from the manager's office by a store employee.
Police questioned the employee, a 31-year-old Caledonia woman, but she insisted the purse in question actually belonged to her. After an hour of questioning, the woman admitted to officers that she gave the purse to her girlfriend, a 31-year-old Racine woman, and told her to empty it. The employee then emptied out her own purse and put the contents into the stolen Coach purse, stating she and the victim had identical purses.
The purse and credit cards were returned to the victim, with the exception of $100, which had been spent by the employee's friend. The friend also admitted she took the credit cards and made several purchases at Kohl's, Target and Pick 'n Save before the cards were returned to the owner.
Police arrested the employee for theft and obstruction and her friend was arrested for fraud and theft. The two are scheduled to appear in the district attorney's office Sept. 24.
During the investigation police discovered the Racine woman had valid warrant for a sex offender registry violation with Wisconsin Community Corrections and a felony warrant for a sex offender registry violation with Racine County Sheriff's Office. She was taken to Racine County Jail.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Former MLB player John Mallee to coach at Prospect Training Academy
- Black Bear Bottling named 2015 Business of the Year by South Suburban Chamber of Commerce (1)
- Oak Creek Common Council denies police chief's request for 7.5-percent raise — at least for 2016
- Oak Creek police report: Feb. 4, 2016 issue
- Tickets now on sale for annual 'Taste of Oak Creek-Franklin' fundraiser
- Oak Creek's former city hall, library now demolished
- Oak Creek participates in national Water and Health Study
- Video: Oak Creek reflects on Obama's call for tighter gun legislation
- Oak Creek police report: Jan. 28, 2016 issue
- New Oak Creek Goodwill Store to host grand opening (4)