Forest Park Middle School teacher Mary Fassbender is one of five Wisconsin educators being considered for Presidential Teaching Awards, the nation's highest honor for mathematics and science teachers.
Fassbender teaches seventh and eighth grade.
"These teachers have been singled out by their peers, parents and former students, or school administrators as exceptional educators," State Superintendent Tony Evers said in a press release. "They represent the dedication of the many individuals who work with our students in Wisconsin classrooms throughout the school year. I congratulate them."
Following their nomination, each director completed application materials addressing how they met criteria, including mastery of content knowledge, use of instructional methods and strategies, effective use of assessment, reflective practice and lifelong learning and leadership in education outside the classroom.
A committee organized by the National Science Foundation may select one teacher of mathematics and one of science to receive presidential awards from each state and four U.S. jurisdictions. Winners receive $10,000 and a certificate signed by the president.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek-Franklin parent group pushes for larger school board membership
- 'Not one more' life: Oak Creek service stresses need for drop in gun violence (1)
- Oak Creek police report: July 2, 2015 issue
- Video: Oak Creek-Franklin flips coin to determine task force chair; parents invited to apply
- #RisingForCharleston Service to support victims of church shooting, request stricter gun laws
- Oak Creek-Franklin Superintendent Sara Burmeister retires
- Oak Creek police report: June 25, 2015 issue
- Elm Grove police seek leads in robbery
- Oak Creek-Franklin board forms new committee to deal with school boundaries debate
- Proposed changes to Oak Creek Water and Sewer Utility Commission rejected (1)