Forest Park Middle School teacher Mary Fassbender is one of five Wisconsin educators being considered for Presidential Teaching Awards, the nation's highest honor for mathematics and science teachers.
Fassbender teaches seventh and eighth grade.
"These teachers have been singled out by their peers, parents and former students, or school administrators as exceptional educators," State Superintendent Tony Evers said in a press release. "They represent the dedication of the many individuals who work with our students in Wisconsin classrooms throughout the school year. I congratulate them."
Following their nomination, each director completed application materials addressing how they met criteria, including mastery of content knowledge, use of instructional methods and strategies, effective use of assessment, reflective practice and lifelong learning and leadership in education outside the classroom.
A committee organized by the National Science Foundation may select one teacher of mathematics and one of science to receive presidential awards from each state and four U.S. jurisdictions. Winners receive $10,000 and a certificate signed by the president.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Elmbrook Rotary Club looking for more teams for annual Spikes for Tykes fundraiser
- For Oak Creek-Franklin school boundaries, it's back to Option 1
- Department of Transportation to update local businesses about South 27th Street construction
- Oak Creek's historical society begins tour season on Memorial Day
- Oak Creek High School track now open to public Saturday mornings
- Heart the City 5K/10K to raise awareness for area homeless
- 'Maus,' a graphic novel about the Holocaust, may be added to Oak Creek High School English class
- Oak Creek police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- Oak Creek native directs 'android' ad for filmmaker David Lynch's signature coffee