Forest Park Middle School teacher Mary Fassbender is one of five Wisconsin educators being considered for Presidential Teaching Awards, the nation's highest honor for mathematics and science teachers.
Fassbender teaches seventh and eighth grade.
"These teachers have been singled out by their peers, parents and former students, or school administrators as exceptional educators," State Superintendent Tony Evers said in a press release. "They represent the dedication of the many individuals who work with our students in Wisconsin classrooms throughout the school year. I congratulate them."
Following their nomination, each director completed application materials addressing how they met criteria, including mastery of content knowledge, use of instructional methods and strategies, effective use of assessment, reflective practice and lifelong learning and leadership in education outside the classroom.
A committee organized by the National Science Foundation may select one teacher of mathematics and one of science to receive presidential awards from each state and four U.S. jurisdictions. Winners receive $10,000 and a certificate signed by the president.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man hits workers with gravel because construction made it difficult to get into his driveway
- Helicopter helps place HVAC units on Meijer at Drexel Town Square
- Elderly resident with asthma trapped in elevator at Country View Retirement Home
- Oak Creek Police Report: Oct. 30, 2014
- Oak Creek Knights marching band captures its first state title
- Oak Creek High School production company plays to strengths of The Little Theater
- Amendments may curtail proposed closing of Hales Corners wading pool and elimination of UW-Extension
- In a new proposed OCFSD course, students would build a house
- Oak Creek Water Street Brewery takes one step closer
- Oak Creek woman charged as part of prescription fraud ring