I-94 near W. College Ave. was closed for about five hours Tuesday after a downed utility pole sent wires across the freeway, according to the Milwaukee County sheriff's office.
Deputies closed the freeway in both directions from about 1:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Barry McNulty, a We Energies spokesman, said a dump truck clipped a cable television line in the area, bringing down a utility pole. It also brought down electrical wires attached to the pole.
About 1,000 We Energies customers lost electrical power because of the accident, but service was restored for most of the customers by the time the freeway was reopened, McNulty said.
Repairs were delayed because the work crews had trouble getting through the traffic congestion created by the accident, McNulty said.
To keep the service interruption for the remaining customers affected to a minimum, technicians chose to replace the pole rather than to cut and restring new wires, McNulty said.
Crews also had to inspect the area to make sure no other poles or equipment were damaged, he said.
Northbound I-94 traffic was redirected off the interstate at College Ave. while the freeway segment was closed. Southbound traffic was diverted to westbound I-894.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dr. Seuss' birthday celebrated at Oak Creek library for Family Fun Night
- Got stuff? The Clutter Coach is coming to Oak Creek to help
- Oak Creek police report: Feb. 26, 2015, issue
- City divided on addition of Chick-fil-A at Drexel Town Square in Oak Creek
- OCFSD considers more than $1 million in proposed capital improvements
- Milwaukee County Transit expands bus service to Oak Creek
- Sikh Temple shooting examined in one-hour documentary Monday
- Voters in Oak Creek-Franklin and Greendale decide candidates for April 7 election
- Oak Creek police report: Feb. 19, 2015, issue
- Four OCFSD school board candidates advance to April's general election