Top cops already in the shop
City lists three internal candidates as police chief finalists
Oak Creek — The field has been narrowed to three in the search for the new Oak Creek police chief.
All of the candidates are currently employed with the Oak Creek Police Department. They are Capt. John Edwards, who is the acting police chief; Lt. Steven Anderson; and Lt. Brian Murphy.
Depending on the outcome of interviews with those three, the Oak Creek Police and Fire Commission could decide to open up the search to outside candidates, Chairwoman Terry Peterson said.
The commission was scheduled to meet in closed session for interviews with each candidate over the last several days. Peterson said she and commission members hope to make a decision by the end of the year.
They will be looking for a person with the right background and good leadership skills to replace former chief Thomas Bauer.
The process to fill the position naturally takes awhile but the commission has been moving forward, Peterson said. In the meantime, the department is "well run" and has functioned well without a permanent replacement yet named, Peterson said.
Bauer retired in July after 33 years in the Oak Creek Police Department and 13 years as chief.
He was praised for digging the department out of turmoil at the beginning of his tenure and helping make the new police station a reality. At the time of Bauer's retirement, police officials said they were pleased with the direction the department was heading and hoped to continue the progress made under Bauer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek police report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Trail continues toward Abendschein Park's full development in Oak Creek
- Man arrested for fraud after ordering food, passing out and leaving eatery
- Teen drug use, prevention panel discussion Thursday, Oct. 30
- Early voting now open at Oak Creek City Hall
- County Supervisor Steve Taylor to host Oak Creek town hall meeting on Wednesday
- County Supervisor Steve Taylor to host Hales Corners town hall meeting on Wednesday
- Local schools are bursting at the seams
- Oak Creek police report: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Lake Vista redevelopment reaches 'point of action' in Oak Creek