Top cops already in the shop
City lists three internal candidates as police chief finalists
Oak Creek — The field has been narrowed to three in the search for the new Oak Creek police chief.
All of the candidates are currently employed with the Oak Creek Police Department. They are Capt. John Edwards, who is the acting police chief; Lt. Steven Anderson; and Lt. Brian Murphy.
Depending on the outcome of interviews with those three, the Oak Creek Police and Fire Commission could decide to open up the search to outside candidates, Chairwoman Terry Peterson said.
The commission was scheduled to meet in closed session for interviews with each candidate over the last several days. Peterson said she and commission members hope to make a decision by the end of the year.
They will be looking for a person with the right background and good leadership skills to replace former chief Thomas Bauer.
The process to fill the position naturally takes awhile but the commission has been moving forward, Peterson said. In the meantime, the department is "well run" and has functioned well without a permanent replacement yet named, Peterson said.
Bauer retired in July after 33 years in the Oak Creek Police Department and 13 years as chief.
He was praised for digging the department out of turmoil at the beginning of his tenure and helping make the new police station a reality. At the time of Bauer's retirement, police officials said they were pleased with the direction the department was heading and hoped to continue the progress made under Bauer.
- Oak Creek police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek student facing charges after stealing car, eluding police
- Oak Creek police report: April 21, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek-Franklin School District's director of business reflects on career, looks forward in Q&A
- Meijer customers given opportunity to co-star in television commercial
- Oak Creek receives 'Vision Award' for Drexel Town Square development
- Oak Creek police report: April 14, 2016 issue
- 'Vampire Academy' author to attend book signing at Oak Creek Public Library
- Cellphone tower stands in way of Oak Creek-Franklin school auditorium (1)
- Oak Creek-Franklin School Board gets three new faces