Top cops already in the shop
City lists three internal candidates as police chief finalists
Oak Creek — The field has been narrowed to three in the search for the new Oak Creek police chief.
All of the candidates are currently employed with the Oak Creek Police Department. They are Capt. John Edwards, who is the acting police chief; Lt. Steven Anderson; and Lt. Brian Murphy.
Depending on the outcome of interviews with those three, the Oak Creek Police and Fire Commission could decide to open up the search to outside candidates, Chairwoman Terry Peterson said.
The commission was scheduled to meet in closed session for interviews with each candidate over the last several days. Peterson said she and commission members hope to make a decision by the end of the year.
They will be looking for a person with the right background and good leadership skills to replace former chief Thomas Bauer.
The process to fill the position naturally takes awhile but the commission has been moving forward, Peterson said. In the meantime, the department is "well run" and has functioned well without a permanent replacement yet named, Peterson said.
Bauer retired in July after 33 years in the Oak Creek Police Department and 13 years as chief.
He was praised for digging the department out of turmoil at the beginning of his tenure and helping make the new police station a reality. At the time of Bauer's retirement, police officials said they were pleased with the direction the department was heading and hoped to continue the progress made under Bauer.
- Oak Creek increases dog ownership limit from two to three
- Oak Creek police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek's Summer Concert Series begins June 29
- Splash pad gets off to a slippery start at Drexel Town Square (1)
- Nominations being accepted for the 2016 Oak Creek Landscaping Awards
- Oak Creek combating Emerald Ash Borer with chemicals
- Oak Creek police report: June 16, 2016 issue
- Oak Creek's Miliacca eyes state pageant title
- Oak Creek passes agreement for senior community in Drexel Town Square
- Oak Creek makes a splash opening its splash pad in Drexel Town Square