The Common Council tonight will discuss the future of the 85-acre former Delphi property, 7929 S. Howell Ave., and that could include new municipal buildings.
For some time, the city has discussed building a civic center, which would be a combination of a new City Hall and library, as well as a new fire station.
In a report to council members, officials said putting the library and City Hall at the old Delphi site could be the "cornerstone of a new city center," which could also include housing, restaurants and retail establishments.
The only decision the council would make tonight is whether to create a master plan for the Delphi property and civic center.
The Oak Creek-Franklin School District, meanwhile, has mulled building a new high school. If the civic center was built on the Delphi land, a new school could be built where the City Hall and library now exists, according to the report.
"There may be strong community sentiment for keeping the library and City Hall at its current location," City Attorney Lawrence Haskin wrote in the report. "No decision about the future sitting of a library, City Hall and high school can be made without substantial public input."
Officials would like a master plan so residents can better visualize various scenarios and then comment on them, Haskin said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Knights stadium available Saturdays for open track
- Greendale trustees to hold special meeting for Hose Tower discussion
- Resident injured after falling down stairs with oil poured on them
- Oak Creek Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Rough street gets a smooth treatment in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek's history flows onward in milestone celebration
- 'Worst road in Oak Creek' finally sees interim work
- Suzy's Cream Cheesecakes expands operations to Oak Creek
- Large snake slithers into view again near Sikh Temple in Oak Creek
- Oak Creek Police Report: Sept. 4, 2014 issue