· Bob and Amy (Wojciechowski) Firkus of Oak Creek are the parents of Lillian Grace Firkus, born Jan. 25, 2013. She was 5 pounds, 11 ounces, and 18.75 inches. She joins siblings Mason, 7, and Blake, 5. Grandparents are Bob and Debbie Firkus of Waukesha, Bob and Joyce Wojciechowski of Waterford, and Karen Meyer of Oak Creek.
· The following graduates earned bachelor's degrees from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in May: from Franklin, Gunnar Bartz, business administration, and Justin Flasch, natural-physical science; from Hales Corners, Chelsey Marcelini, communicative disorders cum laude; and from Oak Creek, Margaret Cartwright, biology magna cum laude.
· The following students made the spring semester dean's list at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse: from Franklin, Kelly Beall, Vincent Bialk, Samantha Fischbach, Olyvia Gentz, Alexander Hardy, Kathleen Katschke, Taylor Kruczynski, Christine Stein, Ashley Stender, Riley Stone and Liza Wilimitis; from Greendale, Dana Bartman, Amanda Immekus, Matthew Krueger, Calli McAlpine and Lauren Strommen; from Hales Corners, Danika Johnson, Marissa Riordan and Nicholas Yurk; and from Oak Creek, Luke Hams, Jacob Hinkley, Madeline Kilps, Rachel Medenwaldt, Jacob Voss and Kyle Zawacki.
· The following students made the spring semester dean's list at Carthage College in Kenosha: from Franklin, Courtney Atkinson, Nicholas Brusky, Justin Harrison, Jeremiah Mertz and Amy Schultz; from Greendale, Angela Fuller; and from Oak Creek, Matthew Abler and Joshua Heicher.
· Lora Brunn of Franklin made the spring semester dean's list at Marian University in Fond du Lac.
·Evan Fry and Allison Kallmann of Franklin made the spring semester honor roll at the University of Oklahoma Norman.
·Elizabeth Kraidich and Amy Lewison of Oak Creek made the spring semester dean's list at Iowa State University in Ames.
·Megan Somers of Franklin made the fall and spring semester dean's lists at Montana State University in Bozeman.
· The following students made the spring semester dean's list at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire: from Franklin, Elizabeth Brandes, Cody Christian and Craig Christian; from Greendale, Anna Redovich and Christina Vlahos; and from Hales Corners, Erin Grim, Rachel Kornhoff and Matthew Schenke.
· The following students made the spring semester dean's list at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point: from Franklin, Rachel Ahler, Taylor Atkinson and Lauren Nachtigall; from Greendale, Zachary Beard, Megan Briskie, Travis Kahl, Rex Raasch, Alyssa Sanfilippo, Timothy Treu, Kirsten Voss and Samantha Young; from Hales Corners, Chelsey Marcelini and Kristin Stollenwerk; and from Oak Creek, Jessica Breen, Margaret Cartwright, Jenna Crayton, Caitlin Lindsay, Courtney MacDonald, Jamie Nichol and Sallyann Siira.
· Brett Guendel of Greendale won first place at the national collegiate-level DECA competition in April in Anaheim, Calif. Guendel competed in the business-to-business marketing category with partner Jodi Straka. Their win comes after placing third in the state competition in Madison. Last year, the duo took first in the state competition and placed in the top 10 nationally. Both students attend the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where they are student ambassadors.
·Ian Dupont of Hales Corners, a civil engineering major at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, received a $3,000 Hilldale Scholarship to work in collaboration with his faculty advisor on a research project.
·Kali Anderson, a mezzo-soprano at Oak Creek High School, Elizabeth Wanninger, oboe player at OCHS, Katharine Loomis, clarinet player and soprano at Greendale High School, and Kerine Vang, flute player at Whitnall High School, were among 20 Milwaukee-area music students to earn Civic Music Association High School Awards.
·Maureen Szychlinski, a sixth-grade teacher at Robinwood Elementary School in Franklin, has been honored through the Cousins Subs Teachers Make It Better program with sandwiches for a year, movie passes for a year, a $50 salon gift card, and a free party platter for her classroom. Students nominated teachers who "makes it better," and 70 nominations were submitted.
·David John Wanninger was commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Navy on May 24 and has reported to Pensacola Naval Air Station for training as a Navy pilot. A 2013 graduate of Macalester College in St. Paul, Wanninger participated in Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps at the University of Minnesota during college. He is the son of John and Susan Wanninger of Oak Creek.
·Jeremy Richard Maurer of Oak Creek graduated from Air Force basic training at Lackland Air Force Base with the special honors of Warhawk physical training and expert marksman. He is based at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Miss., for his technical training in radio frequency transmission systems.
Got some good news to share? We want to hear all about it. Send your announcements to Celebrations/NOW Newspapers, 1741 Dolphin Drive, Suite A, Waukesha 53186; or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Celebrations: Dec. 5
- Celebrations: Nov. 28
- Celebrations: Nov. 21
- Celebrations: Oct. 31
- Celebrations: Oct. 24
- Celebrations: Oct. 17
- Celebrations: Sept. 24
- Celebrations: Sept. 17
- Celebrations: Sept. 5
- Celebrations: Aug. 22
- Celebrations: July 29
- Celebrations: July 25
- Celebrations: July 18
- Celebrations: June 27
- Celebrations: June 20
- Celebrations: June 13
- Celebrations: June 6
- Celebrations: May 23
- Celebrations: May 9